Thursday, April 7, 2011

Read This! Polar Bear Math

Hi! I'm Amanda and I am the beating stick math teacher. The other day the kids and I decided to read different math books and then share with you what we learned. I asked them to share the title, author, a summary of the book, and what we learned from reading the book. We had fun completing this activity! I know teachers usually just watch their students complete assignments, but I saw a book that really caught my eye and I decided to complete the activity too. Here's my write up:

I choose to read the book Polar Bear Math: Learning about Fractions from Klondike and Snow by Ann Whitehead Nagada and Cindy Bickel.

Polar Bear Math: Learning About Fractions from Klondike and Snow

I was so excited when I saw this book because I remember when Klondike and Snow were born at the Denver Zoo. Their mom abandoned them and the zoo keepers had to take care of them. Klondike, Snow, and their caregivers received a lot of attention from the media (meaning they were on the news). Here is more about their story if you are interested. This book teaches fractions through the real life needs (making formula, the caretaker's schedule) of these two polar bears. It was really interesting to me to see just how fractions are used in real life. It's funny, because I tell my students all the time about how fractions are used in the real world, but it is so neat to actually see them in action. Also, I learned something neat. Did you know that 2/3 of all polar bears give birth to twin polar bear babies? That means for every three mommy polar bears five baby polar bears are born! That's kind of crazy! I really enjoyed reading Klondike and Snow's story and learning about fractions too. This book is great for kids just learning about fractions and for kids who like learning about animals too.

We hope you enjoy our book reviews, and hopefully you will find them helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment